As the arctic air sweeps across the country, warm up with some heart healthy homemade chicken noodle soup. Pair it with a heart healthy salad and homemade salad dressing and know that you are eating a meal meant to satisfy your body and health.
Heart Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Serves: 8 (Approx. 15 cups)
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium-large onion, chopped
5 carrots, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
3 sprigs fresh thyme or parsley
1 bay leaf
2 qt. reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
8 oz. wide egg noodles
Salt/Pepper to taste
Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, thyme/parsley and bay leaf. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened (about 5 minutes). Stir in broth and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil.
Add chicken and bring to a simmer. Cook chicken approx. 15 minutes, or until done. Shred chicken.
Add noodles and shredded chicken to pot and simmer until noodles are tender. Discard bay leaf and season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.
Heart Healthy Salad
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour (depending on selected ingredients)
Consider adding the following heart healthy ingredients to your salad:
- Greens—Romaine lettuce, Spinach and/or Arugula (dark leafy lettuces are best)
- Protein—Hard-boiled egg, reduced fat, low-sodium cheese, skinless chicken breast, fish, lean beef, peanuts, almonds or walnuts (protein keeps you feeling full longer)
- Fruit—Strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, pineapple, etc. can add an exciting taste to any salad
- Vegetables—Carrots, cucumbers, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower and corn
- Grains—Barley, quinoa wild rice and/or couscous (add flavor to a salad and make it more filling)
Heart Health Salad Dressing
Prep time: 5 minutes
¼ cup olive oil, vegetable oil or canola oil
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
Salt/ Pepper to taste
Mix oil with vinegar and add salt and pepper to taste. You may consider adding garlic, fresh herbs or citrus juice (lemon, lime or orange) to enhance the flavor.