Serving Size: ~5 ½ cups
One serving: ½ cup = 2 points: 1 serving beans; ½ serving veggies; trace amounts fruit
2 cups frozen, shelled edamame (thawed)
15 oz can reduced sodium black beans (about 1 ½ cups if you prepare your own; see directions below)
1 cup green onion, chopped
½ cup yellow squash, finely chopped or grated
½ cup zucchini squash, finely chopped or grated
1 tbsp fresh garlic, minced
3 tbsp reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp lemon zest
3 tbsp juice from fresh lemon
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped rosemary
⅛ tsp salt1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- In a medium bowl, stir together the beans, veggies, herbs, feta and lemon.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend.
- Save one or two lemon wedges to freshen the flavor.
Dried Bean ‘Quick Soak’ Preparation:
- Rinse 1 cup dried navy beans, removing any natural foreign material.
- Bring 5 cups of water to a boil. Add beans and allow them to boil 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Soak beans 1 hour.
- Strain water and rinse beans a second time.
- Return them to pot with 6 cups of water.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer gently with lid tilted (about 1- 1½ hours) until desired tenderness.