Every year, up to 20 percent of Americans get the flu. Don’t be one of them. The number one way to prevent the flu is to get an annual flu vaccine, preferably during the months of October or November before flu season begins. Every year, the vaccine is updated to offer the best protection against the ever-changing flu virus.
Other ways to reduce your risk:
- Avoid close contact with anyone who may be sick or if you are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Don’t share beverages, utensils or other personal items.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Find time for exercise.
- Get adequate sleep, at least 7 hours a night.
- Wash your hands often.
- Quit smoking.